Tuesday, September 16, 2008

An important question

The University of Oklahoma Career Office has a website to connect OU students with companies and organize the interview processes. I just opened an account because the career fair is coming up. On the account information form where you tell them what skill set you have (reliable, communication, managing people, hey look what I can do!), there's also a place to fill in a website. My important question (I should think it would be obvious by now) is should I put kendallcorner on a job site? It's not in any way a professional website, and there are a few pictures from college on it, but I think it says something about me that I actually do have a website, and it's a pretty good representation of how I think and the things I am interested in. Also, at some point I'd like to start posting more information about my research on other parts of the site. So what do you think? Please comment! I know more people read this blog than often comment ;-). Thanks!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At September 16, 2008 at 12:40 PM , Blogger Patrick said...

Giving a potential employer your blog as your website is a tricky situation.

Yes, your blog does tackle information and topics related to your field. It shows that you are passionate about what you do and spend your recreational time educating yourself (and others, ha).

It also has a lot of non-engineering posts, though. And it is tied to every comment you've made, and every comment others have made on here.

The fact that it is your place to vent makes me think you shouldn't put it as your website. "Having your website" is only impressive these days if you have your only domain. Keeping a regular blog at our age is par for the course.

What you may consider doing is what I do. I have two blogs. One for myself (halfahero), and then one for professional use (patricksreel). You may think about doing that, or maybe only making certain posts of your blog public and keeping others for subscribers only, if you can do that on blogger.

There's my thoughts. That's just my view, professionally. Your industry could be completely different, and probably is.

 
At September 16, 2008 at 10:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, my thinking is you'd have to censor what you write. I agree with Patrick that it's more for if you have a professional site.

 
At September 17, 2008 at 1:24 AM , Blogger Kendall said...

Ack. Professional sites are boring!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home