Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tie Rods: very important parts of your car.

Apparently my big white hippie van's wheel almost fell off. Before we complain about the van, let's just tell the fun story of what it feels like when your wheel is about to fall off. I was driving down the road when I noticed the car was shaking. Not badly, but a very noticeable steering wheel shake. I slow down and pull over just to make sure all the wheels are alright. They look fine, so I get back in and as I'm getting back up to speed, I notice that the car pulls very hard to the left every time the wheel goes around. By 35-40 mph the whole car is shaking, and making me very nervous, and as I get up to 65-75 it actually gets a little better, just because I can't feel the individual shakes anymore--so only the steering wheel is shaking . . . after a few conversations with my dad, we decide to tow the car to the nearest mechanic and get it looked at. Turns out a bolt on a tie rod was loose and about to come out, which I believe means cya l8r wheel!

Fun, eh? Now back to the hippie van. Yes, that's right, I drive a big white hippie van. "But Kendall," you must say, "why do you drive a big white hippie van? It's so bad for the environment, and bad for your badass reputation!" Yes, I know all of these things. The fact is that it's still cheaper to pay an extra 100$ a month on gas than it is to pay a car payment (old car--all paid off) and insurance (which my parents have so lovingly taken care of, because it turns out paying for insurance for 5 people isn't that much more expensive than paying for insurance for 4 people.). Awful, right? Cheaper for me ... but not cheaper for the environment. Who will pay the cost in the end?? (cue ominous music!)

Anyway, I decided to pay off my carbon debt by giving this tid bit of advice. (If you already know this, then I'm screwed! ) Did you know you can recycle those plastic starbucks cups? They are plastic number 1--better known in the polymers world as polyethylene terephthalate (PETE), or the plastic that every bottled, water, coke, moutain dew, etc. is made with. In fact, most clear plastic solo-type cups are made with this stuff. The sad part is that the classic red solo party cup is actually made of polystyrene, which, if you've been reading, you know we can't recycle in this country. If you use the clear plastic cups (and surely they make a tinted version), you can just throw them in the recycling bin when you're done. Which is what I'll do this weekend.

By the way, San Diego was awesome. You should all visit sometime.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At July 21, 2008 at 8:40 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

A 1998 is Dodge minivan totally not hippie. I'd argue you're just practicing to become a boring ole soccer mom. :)

 
At July 21, 2008 at 9:35 AM , Blogger Kendall said...

I was waiting for someone to say that (well, not the boring soccer mom burn--and it's a 95!!). Everyone who sees it calls it my hippie van . . . so I figure it's cool.

 
At July 23, 2008 at 3:37 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

The only cool vans are the old VW ones that make me scream out "It's the Libyans!"

-Nick

PS For better or worse, the "Back to the Future" series was a major influence in my childhood. Last week I said, "That's a dumb as a screendoor on a battleship!" and no one got the reference.

 
At August 6, 2008 at 12:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi~ you're probably like, wtf, how did the freshman read my blog and/or decide to comment all of a sudden? :) i'm going to be a junior, you know.

so, the recycling of starbucks cups. i'm working at panasonic in japan right now, and couldn't help but notice the obsessive recycling going on at every japanese starbucks. they have a "recycle the cup", "recycle the straw", and three other recycle bins. :) stupid american starbucks.

 
At August 8, 2008 at 11:17 AM , Blogger Kendall said...

Hey Nora!! In Japan, eh? that's awesome! So I guess you won't be around when I visit Boston next weekend :-(. Sadness.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home