Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I <3 Olympians

Ah! I am pissed! Because I wrote this cool half-blog *before* Michael Phelps won all 8 of his events, and then I went to Boston, and it turns out I never published this. But here it is for you to enjoy, because while I'm not one to brag, I think it's pretty funny. It was actually right after he won his 5th medal and thus surpasses the record for most gold medals won (over multiple olympics):

"I have not gotten anything done in lab this week. It's mostly because the friggin olympics is on all friggin day! How can I go to lab when beach volleyball is playing flanked by the 200m Breaststroke?? And right now, all they're playing is volleyball, swimming, and gymnastics. Yay, yay, and yay! When does the running start? Track and Field is pretty awesome, and I'm excited about that.

"So what would you do if you were Michael Phelps right now? I bet you would don all 11 of your gold medals and where them around town. Phelps opens suitcase and, "oh look. How in the world did these 6 medals from the previous Olympics get in here? Lucky for me they were here, because now I'm going to wear them around town!"

"Around town (I guess 'town' shouldn't really be used to describe Beijing, but whatever): 'Hi! Look at me. I'm Michael Phelps and I have just won more gold medals than anyone in olympic history. What am I going to do next, you ask? Well, I'm going to win 3 more gold medals, and then will I not only have the record for most gold medals, I'll have beaten the other guy by 4, I'll surely have a world record in every event I swam in, and I'll also have the world record for most golds won in a single olympics. Please come bask in my awesomeness.'

"'So Mr. Phelps, can you tell us why you looked pissed after you won a gold medal and broke a world record in the 200m butterfly?'

"And this is an actual quote from nbcolympics.com, 'I'm disappointed because I know I can go faster, but there was nothing I could do. I handled it the best way I could.' Turns out his goggles were filling up with water and he couldn't see a damned thing. And he still won the race with the best time ... ever. And he was mad because he could have gone faster. wow. If anyone deserves all the praise and shiny things he is getting right now, he does."

That was it. The entirety of the half-post. Beautiful, I know. So now he has all the medals, and what do we have to say? Well, I just don't have much really. We were watching the final race in a bar/bowling alley in Boston, and I said 'wait, is this the final race??' My friends said 'Yes!!!' Turns out I missed a whole 2 races the night or two before ... boo! Anyway, it was great, because the whole bar was screaming at the television (of course, they didn't care about the women's 4x100 medley that had just played, but whatever). It was pretty fun. Looking back, I believe I did not publish the post, because I did not want to jinx his chances at actually winning 8 gold medals in one olympics. Unlike Dana Whitaker, I don't like to mess with the mojo.

Right now I am fighting with my photoalbum software to get it to spit out a photo album that doesn't look like the crappy one I have right now, and one that includes my trip to Boston as well as my trip to Colorado. Soon the pictures will be available on the album. Also, I spent about an hour last night uploading the Boston pictures to facebook (slow internet at night due to crappy cable and wireless through my desktop because the rooms aren't wired for a network--seriously??), and then it tells me that it failed. No more information than that. Not that a few pictures succeded, the whole thing just failed. Wow, facebook, I hate you. Don't you think it would have been nice to let me know that I was not succeeding, I dunno, like an hour ago?? If you're lucky, the pics will be up later tonight. I will be at the restaurant tonight, but when I get home, I'll get to typing ...

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At August 31, 2008 at 6:35 PM , Blogger tiGGlet said...

haha... i <3 olympics too! (I still wish the Australian had done better in the final race...;P ) I can't wait for the next olympics when Phelps goes even faster!! I don't know what record he would break.. maybe he should go into diving or synchronous swimming and go for the metals in other events.

kendall you're an amazing blogger! just btw :) I'm entertained!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home