Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Let's write an awesome title.

I'm writing the title for my paper that I should present next year at a conference if everything goes as planned. Soooo here's a couple of options. Let me know which one sounds better/conveys the meaning I'm looking for.

Changes in a, b, c in X mixtures with Y or Z.

Changes in a, b, c in X mixed with Y or Z.

Effects of X on a, b, c in Y or Z mixtures.

So do either of these convey that X is being mixed with Y and the test are being run, and then X is being mixed with Z and tests are being run? That's what I'm going for. Also I like the word mixtures better than mixed ... and I don't have a good reason for that except it pulls up better literature search results than mixed does. And we are all about the literature searches. Though, I might just give up on Z and do that one later, you know, when I have undergrads to do the grunt work and stuff ...

Also I don't particularly like the word 'changes.' I know there's a better one out there somewhere, and I'm sure I'll think of it just after I submit the title to the conference ... 'Changes' is also very vague--there's no mood there. Were the changes good? Were they bad? They *should* be good. We'll just say that. Increases in a, b, c might be better. Show me what you've got!

Thanks!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At September 24, 2008 at 2:35 PM , Blogger Patrick said...

I agree, "Changes" seems vague and weak. Without knowing how you're changing a, b, and c (permutation? variation? mutation? translation? modification? multiplication?), it's hard to say which thesaurus.com word works best.

Changes of a, b, c in X mixtures with Y or Z.

The correct preposition makes a much bigger difference than most people realize, also. Does "of" work better? Maybe you should just let me see your research so I can title this better ;)

Also, nice playlist.

 
At September 24, 2008 at 3:43 PM , Blogger Kendall said...

um yes, I know. my playlist rocks. My concerns with 'of' are that I am mixing X with Y and X with Z. If I say "X mixtures of Y or Z." It sounds like I'm not putting any X in. It just sounds weird.

a = critical micellar concentration
b = other property
c = more properties
X,Y,and Z are all surfactants.

b and c should go up. CMC should be smaller. and I should get a copyright dealy on my blog. I really don't want people ripping off my research. Then I think I would cry.

 
At September 24, 2008 at 7:48 PM , Blogger Patrick said...

When I said "of", I meant for "Changes OF a, b, c..."

Quantitative Alterations of a, b, c in X mixtures with Y or Z.

If you want your title to scare away laymen. If not, I think just "Changes" works. But really, what do I know? I have never written a scientific publication in 12 years.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home