Monday, April 14, 2008

For anyone still scared of 100 years

I really thought it was self explanatory and that we were over it since it was about 3 months ago, but I keep having McCain opponents throw it at me as some sort of ultimate metaphorical argument cake topper . . . Even when I first heard that he had said something to the effect of being in Iraq for 100 years, I knew what he meant and that I had to have heard it out of context. Maybe that's just because I feel rather secure in that this guy is not going to go blundering around saying stupid things.

(No offense Obama-lovers, but you have to admit that was kinda stupid--bet it sounded purdy, though ;-) . . . unless he has a diabolical plan to give up on the small-town, rural vote all together (for which I wouldn't blame him if he did) and go straight for the . . . people who really don't like small-town, rural voters . . .)

Or maybe it's just because I've been away from Boston for too long (my dad used to call me a Yankee when I came home from undergrad, which angered me on multiple levels!). At any rate, some people still take it out of context, which I don't blame them for, because it is really hard to get everything in context these days with so many biased news organizations. In case you were still wondering how someone could make a comment like that and still be in the presidential race with the opinion of the public where it is today, the title of this post links to an article reprinted in a blog by a (democrat!) person who is tired of people skewing the line. It's a great article, I think. However due to something about thinking republicans having been in power too long (I totally can't vote for a party, dude, sorry), the blogger is still not voting for McCain, but I am, so we're even ;-).

Also, if you don't want to read the article, here's the whole quote, which I read and understood and quite liked, actually. So tell me, have I been in Oklahoma too long?

Questioner: President Bush has talked about our staying in Iraq for fifty years…
McCain: Maybe a hundred. Make it one hundred. We’ve been in South Korea, we’ve been in Japan for sixty years. We’ve been in South Korea for fifty years or so. That’d be fine with me as long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed. Then it’s fine with me. I would hope it would be fine with you if we maintain a presence in a very volatile part of the world where Al Qaeda is training, recruiting, equipping and motivating people every single day.
That was a pretty serious blog post . . . for me . . . So I'll leave you with another VW commercial--in this one, Heidi Klum makes the VW blush ;-)



hmm. Maybe I just like listening to the German accents!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At April 18, 2008 at 4:49 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

But what if you think 100 years in Iraq might be pretty fun?

PS Korea really does suck though. It's like all the polite and kind Koreans immigrate to the US and leave all the assholes behind.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home