Monday, April 7, 2008

Apartments

It turns out two of my friends are psychic, because they both started talking about housing options on their respective coasts at the same time!! The funny bit is that I am also looking for a new apartment!

The one I am in is sort of . . . sterile. It's brand new university housing, which is nice, except for rules like: we are only allowed to hang 3 pictures on the walls! and you're not allowed to have curtains. They insist that the venetian blinds they provide are good enough to block light from outdoors, even though they use friggin flood lights at night to "keep the complex secure." It's too far away from work (I like to walk places and it's a 40 minute walk--yikes!), the kitchen is too small for the 4 people who live in the apartment, and my room is positioned so that I can unwantedly eaves drop on passers-by and hear the thump! thump! thump! of people clambering up the stairs outside when I'm trying to get to sleep at night. Oh! And, the bed is a double bed, but it is old and dips in the middle, so I always end up rolling to the middle . . . argh!

But the university does take care of everything--even a light bulb change I had last week. And the place I'm living in is fully furnished. And I almost never clean the kitchen or take out the trash (when your roommates are a whole lot more finicky than you, they end up doing most of the work!) At first I thought it was rather expensive, but if you subtract a cable and internet bill as well as utilities, it's quite reasonably priced. It's right by a bus stop, and there's a pool and grills and stuff outside . . . not that I would ever use them. I like one of my roommates, but she will be leaving in December. The other roommates I could take or leave . . .

I also don't know anyone who needs a roommate or is thinking of moving out of the place they currently have. There is one place that is very close to work (and a few good bars!), that is nicely priced (add about 100$ utilities and 100$ cable/internet bill). It's a 1 bedroom. So it bears the question: Is Kendall ready to live alone? Or will she end up a crazy cat lady if she tries that?

So, of course, I made a little spreadsheet with prices, contact numbers, distances from work, etc. Don't you find that everything just makes more sense when it's in a spreadsheet?

Right now I'm making a list of crap I'd have to buy if I were to move into my own place, and so far I've only got:
Bed
Desk
Dresser
Vacuum cleaner
Couch (or a blow-up air furniture ;-))

If you can think of anything else let me know. Or if you have any comments. I'm not good at making quick decisions! I'll probably just not do anything until my lease runs out and I have no place to live . . .

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At April 8, 2008 at 11:16 AM , Blogger Nicola said...

I need a roommate! Live with me!

I know what you mean about living alone, I'm probably gonna be moving to a one bedroom this summer and I'm freaking out about it.

 
At April 9, 2008 at 4:11 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

As they said on http://www.questionablecontent.net/

"When you live alone, you end up talking to your appliances in the morning."

"Good morning Mr. Refrigerator! How are you today?"

It's funny because I'm pretty sure I've done that.

PS questionablecontent.net is my secret guilty pleasure in Iraq. It's like a sitcom that doesn't suck!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home