Friday, April 11, 2008

Obsession thy name is Who

Well, I'm obviously a geek, and right now I'm pretty much geeking out over this television show on the BBC. I haven't met anyone in my town who has even heard of it, so I started reading a few blogs just to see what sort of gossip is going around. Then I started talking to people on the blogs . . . then I joined a forum, and wow.

First off, forums are scary places. I'm a geek, but obviously not a forum geek. They're too big! There's no way you're going to read 12 pages of comments on any given topic, especially when most people are just pretty out there in their ideas. I guess I don't really understand how they work, or maybe just how to use them effectively. And, they know people. If you get enough people in a (theoretical) room, you'll get some people who worked on the set in there. From the blog, and the forum, I've seen pictures and learned things that now I'm not so sure I wanted to know! Also, if you get enough people in the same room, they can start to logic out where the plot is going! It's pretty amazing. You of course have the outliers who think that the world will explode and so-and-so will have to swim through space and time to get the whosit back to the whatsit and just go crazy. But it's weird to see a theory sprout, and at first ignore it, and then see it again, and think it over. Then you see it again, and more people agree with it and add to it, until you have a pretty good idea of what could happen.

Do you think there was a Harry Potter Book 7 forum, and do you think anyone from the forum was surprised by the book after they read it? Probably, because JK was pretty darn secretive, but it's hard to keep a lid on what will happen in a show that's already been taped and viewed by hundreds of crew member and staff and whatnot. With the amount of information they have gathered already, I'm pretty much amazed the whole series isn't on the internet already for all to enjoy!

There is, however, the possibility that this is all wrong. I was one of those people who went out and bought one of those 'what could happen in book 7' (you know, the books that lost all resellability after July 21st, 2007), but I wasn't a crazy! I don't have enough stamina for pure unfettered geekdom! I could only buy it a few days before the last book came out, because I think I would have gone insane I had bought it any earlier. Anyway, it turned out most of the stuff in the book was crap, and I could tell it was crap--so much so that I regretted paying money for the thing. I actually contemplated returning the book for a different 'what could happen in book 7' book. Anything was sure to be more accurate than the one I had.

I was still very surprised by book 7, and I'm hoping I'll still be surprised by the new season of Doctor Who, because I've heard this one is very exciting, and very dramatic! (not speculation!--actor/actress interviews!) ooooh man, and if it goes the way many people think it will!! . . . geez I'm getting away from myself if that's possible.

But I think I'm about done obsessing. I can go about a week or two, and then a get tired of hearing all the speculating. Plus I've been talking to a guy who says he's seen part of the scripts. Now to me, that's just a little bit cheating. Yeah, I want to know what happens, but I don't want the whole thing to be ruined for me just cuz I'm a little curious. Plus, I'd rather see it all happen in the show--the way intended. Gotta love the effect of cinematography and music and, oh yeah, the actors. So I'll wait. I've got too many other things to be doing anyway (Kendall why are you posting in the middle of the day if you have so many things to do?) Bah. Back to 'Separation Process Principles' . . .

PS. If you'd like to see some Doctor Who, I think the new season is coming to BBC America pretty soon--though I'm not sure about that. Also, itunes usually has a weekly podcast of the show (Free?? yeah, I know, right??). If you want other options (there are several) contact me.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At April 12, 2008 at 9:33 PM , Blogger tiGGlet said...

I love doctor who!!! Ok, so right now I'm still thinking about the end of Torchwood!? I can't believe the end, can there be another season of torchwood! I think incorporation of doctor who and torchwood was some of the best story telling.


I'm with you on not wanting to know what will happen in this upcoming doctor who. I want it to be a surprise. I was looking up past information about the doctor who series and who use to play doctor who and that stuff. A few factoids I remember are that in the very first season, doctor who traveled around with his grand-daughter !? Another is that in making the doctor regenerate (into a new body) it solved the issue of changing actors, but they also mentioned that a time lord can only change bodies 12 times. So there can only be 13 doctors!?! The series could have a limit! a terrifying thought...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home