Friday, February 29, 2008

Scissortail Flycatcher

So I was going to write a post about polymers, but the geekyness will have to wait, because the Oklahoma Quarter is out!

I was so excited when I got this quarter as change for a fountain drink at the nearby gas station. That bird on the front is the scissortail flycatcher--Oklahoma's state bird. It's a really awesome bird, because when it flies, the long feathers in its tail scissor, and it really makes you wish you could do that. The flower is what we call the Indian Blanket, though I'm not sure that is it's real name. It's strange, because I was always told that the mistletoe was Oklahoma's state flower, but here it is, on the coin. It's much nicer this way, anyway, because mistletoe is a parasite, and not actually terribly flower-like . . .

I'd save it for a friend of mine who collects the state coins while she's in Spain, but I'm pretty sure her dad will take care of that. Finally after a long long wait, the Oklahoma coin comes out! Right after our bicentennial statehood anniversary! But that means there's only a few more special state coins left, so appreciate them while they're still around!!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At March 1, 2008 at 10:19 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I've been trying to collect all the state quarters...and the new president dollars.

maybe hold onto one of the Oklahoma ones for me!

 
At March 4, 2008 at 2:51 AM , Blogger Alisha said...

yayyyyy thanks! I'll see if my dad has gotten one yet. 2 years of quarters to go!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home